Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Please Help If You Can



I have a request for my Etsy friends, or anyone else who is interested in helping - my request is mainly, I guess, for those who make jewelry or knit or crochet. I have been asked by Montefiore Children's Hospital, which is one of the world's top-ranked pediatric hospitals, if I would like to teach beading and jewelry making with the children in their Child life Dept. Many of the children in this unit are suffering with cancer; they also treat those children who are in need kidney or heart transplants, some of whom come from various places around the world. I felt so honored that they even considered to ask me I almost cried - and of course I said yes definitely I would love to.



I just came back from my first interview and tour of the wards I will be working on. Before I can even start I need to have a complete physical, blood work, shots, etc (not so much for myself, but to make sure I have nothing that I would pass on to the children). Then I will get full security clearance and my Hospital ID badge.

So, my question is - if anyone who has extra beads, supplies, wire, etc. would you be willing to donate some to help out with a lot of what I would need to work with these children.
I will also be teaching knitting and crocheting to the children; mainly the older ones in their teens, so if anyone has any extra yarn, knitting needles, crochet hooks, that they are no longer using and would like to donate, please let me know. Just send me a convo through Etsy.

Since I don't watch any babies on Thursdays, I decided I would go down there every other Thurs and work with these children. The hardest part is that other times that I have worked with children like this, or at one time taught in an orphanage; it breaks my heart to leave them, I would love to take them all home with me and care for them.

It will be such a rewarding experience for me to put some smiles on these little one's faces. One little girl I met who has cancer is just 3 years old.


So again I ask if there is any item that you don't use anymore or left over beads, yarn, etc., I hope you can help.

Note:  CHAM stand for "Children's Hospital at Montefiore"

12 comments:

Christie Cottage said...

OH Pam, You are earning your wings!!!


God bless you!!


{{hugus}}
<><

Judi said...

How very, very special, Pam! I will look through my stash for you.

Mamta said...

I feel honoured that I know you. Blessing, hugs and love to you for doing this great charity.

Julie G. said...

Pammy, I would be glad to donate. I have extra crochet hooks and yarn. I don't know if I still have your address so email me....
juliegazin@gmail.com with it. Blessings to you and all you will help.

Marianne's Musings said...

Pam, I would be honored to send some yarn, beads and whatever else I find. My email address is crochetcreationsbym2@gmail.com What a wonderful honor and a difficult one. I agree that I would want to take them all home with me too. My prayers are with you and those children. May God Bless you greatly for your selfless love and generousity:0)

((Hugs))

Penny said...

Pam,
I would love to help. I have some knitting needles that I got at a yard sale in a bag of yarn and I don't knit. Didn't know what I would do with them. I'll send some yarn too!! Email me with info.
pen685@yahoo.com
God Bless!!

ZudaGay said...

Pammy, what a wonderful thing for you to do!! You will be such a blessing to these children and I am sure you will be blessed over and over as you work with these children because children are blessings. I would love to make up some little things for you to work with. I'll put my thinking cap on. :)

jstinson said...

Pam, this is a generous sacrifice of your time for a very worthy cause. Please convo me with your mailing address. I am sure that I can come up with some stuff.

CraftyCyndi said...

That is a wonderful thing you are doing! You are a blessing

MagdaleneJewels said...

Thank you all for you kind comments. All children need to feel they are special, but these little ones who God has chosen for a different purpose in life, need to know how much they are loved also.
All of you kind offers brought a smile and tears.
"Everytime a bell rings, another angel has earned her wings"
You are truly helping to earn your wings!

Splendid Little Stars said...

awesome, Pam! This will be on-going, I presume?

Beth said...

AWESOME! I'm sure I have some things for you!