My Blog List

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Kelly's Quilt

I took the liberty of copying this blog from my friend Marion's blog, this is just one of her many beautiful quilts that I have seen her make over the years. I also attached a second blog Marion did regarding a custom order quilt she did for a woman who rescues Greyhounds. Her shop on Etsy is: http://www.mademarion@etsy.com Marion's other website is http://www.mademarion.com; and her blog is: http://www.mademarion.com/blog/

My good friend of many years just recently gave a baby shower for her daughter Kelly. Kelly’s first baby is due in October. I met Pam when Kelly was a year old and my daughter Sarah was a newborn and we lived in the same apartment building. It is hard to believe Pam’s baby is having a baby!

I wanted to make Pam’s first grandchild a special quilt. Knowing that the new baby will be a boy, I chose to make a string quilt in a combination of blues and greens.

Zachary's Quilt

I have made string quilts before from scraps and was very pleased with the results. This time however, I used a soft blue foundation block and used fat quarters of greens and blues. For the quilting I did “stitch in the ditch”. I plan to start another string quilt in my other favorite color combination of pinks and yellows.

Pam and I are avid crafters and have collaborated on many projects from knitting and crocheting to quilting and beading. Please take a look at her beautiful jewelry in her etsy shop.

ps: My daughter Kelly loved this Quilt that Marion not only made for her baby, but on the back embroidered the baby's name, Zachary


Greyhound Rescue and Rehab is a non-profit organization that rescues, fosters and prepares ex-racing greyhounds for adoption. Since May 2000 they have placed over 700 Greys with loving families. GRR’s site describes Greyhounds as “quiet, well-mannered, loving and sensitive.” My friend Lorraine, an owner of two Greys and an active member of this organization, asked if I would make a quilted wall-hanging that she could donate to their most recent fundraiser. She gave me several tee-shirts with various graphics of Greyhounds on them to work with. I then made two wall-hanging quilts that were added to their silent auction.

Greyhound Quilts

Greyhound Rescue and Rehab is a non-profit organization that rescues, fosters and prepares ex-racing greyhounds for adoption. Since May 2000 they have placed over 700 Greys with loving families. GRR’s site describes Greyhounds as “quiet, well-mannered, loving and sensitive.” My friend Lorraine, an owner of two Greys and an active member of this organization, asked if I would make a quilted wall-hanging that she could donate to their most recent fundraiser. She gave me several tee-shirts with various graphics of Greyhounds on them to work with. I then made two wall-hanging quilts that were added to their silent auction.

Greyhound Quilts

I made both quilt tops with mainly fat quarters and scraps that I already had. In the larger wall-hanging I used colors that Greyhounds come in. GRR’s site states that Greys “come in a wide array of colors with 18 recognized variations.”

3 comments:

Splendid Little Stars said...

What beautiful quilts your friend makes!

TiLT said...

great quilts!

Memories for Life said...

Wow! Those are great!