My Blog List

Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Steam Engine










For those of you who may have thought I have been missing in action; this is a little update on what I have been doing the past month (and one more weekend to go!!!) As most of you know, besides my shop on Etsy, MagdaleneJewels.etsy.com, I also have belonged to a local theater group for the past 8 years. Although I have acted in a few of their shows, I am primarily their Costume and Makeup Designer; which seems to follow a family tradition. My mother started out as their Costume Designer then went into acting during the 1950’s; my daughter joined about 9 years ago (acting, directing, stage manager), so I guess it was only natural that I follow their paths.
I must admit that this play was one of the most enjoyable, in the way of doing costumes, as I love anything Vintage and Antique. I went to Vintage Clothing Shows in Manhattan and was able to get a few things there, bought a few things online, and then sewed my little fingers off for the rest. The picture of the young girl with the dark glasses (who is blind) is actually wearing a blouse and skirt of mine from the 30’s and my driving glasses (obviously not from the 30’s!).
The play takes place in a Radio Station in 1934, during the time of the Chicago World’s Fair, whose theme was “Century of Progress”. A young inventor (the young man in the sweater) invents a steam engine which works on water, which he hopes to patent and show at the World’s Fair. Of course, Corporate Greed takes over as people attempt to steal his blue prints, or pressure him into selling his ideas. Above a just a few of the scene from our show.
The very top picture is one of our "Production Crew" (I am the one sitting on the desk!) - the other pictures show a Radio Station of 1934; and a few of the actors in their particular scenes.

8 comments:

Memories for Life said...

I'll bet it was fun picking out all the costumes...and making the others :) Good luck...or is it Break a Leg :)

Mystic Silks http:mysticsilks.etsy.com said...

Magdalene, isn't it exciting to be in a theater production!!

I was in one for 6 years!! "Tetelistai" Greek for 'it is finished'
Last week in the life of Christ.

Break a leg!

Live, Love, Laugh, Write! said...

Very cool - break a leg!

AltheaP said...

How lovely, and what fun! My Mom won a beautiful baby prize in the Century of Progress in Chicago.

artmixter said...

Looks like fun!

Chauncey said...

Oh MJ, what fun!

Beth said...

Sound like you have alot of fun there. Loved the feature.

BeadedTail said...

I bet it was a lot of fun picking out costumes from that era! I just love going to plays and I always take note of the costumes and the detail that goes into them. How wonderful that you are a part of it!

P.S. You'll have to share pictures of your Bengal Tiger - I mean kitten!