Friday, January 16, 2009

A Special Thank You

hand-dyed fabric by "Artmixter"


My day started off with me chatting with a friend from India about 8am. About 8:30 am, I received a call all the way from England; it was Marion Barnett, artmixter@etsy.com.
Since I joined Etsy about 1.5 yrs ago, I have made a lot of friends from the Bbest Team; Blogger’s, and now Plugger’s United. For those of you who have read my blogs, you known of my great passion for writing; so it was a pleasure when Marion asked a few of us to be her “guinea pigs” for the next book she is writing. Although I don’t yet know the title, the book’s main purpose is to guide us (artists, writers,) through what she calls “The Zone”. We sometimes tend to lose our focus (namely, our creative side) as we progress through our daily lives. Marion’s goal is to help us recapture the feelings, thoughts, and excitement within our own creative lives, and to stay focused on whatever project we have endeavored to take on. This may all sound quite easy, but as we have progressed with her worksheets, and Second Chapter, we are learning to put our priorities into prospective by identifying the different issues that tend to block our creativeness, which again brings us back to focus.
My goal in writing this blog was not just to inform you of Marion’s great effort is putting this book together, but to bring to light her kindness of sharing her own time to individually help each one of us. Right before Christmas, Marion offered each of us a special Christmas gift. That being, giving of herself to personally have a conference with any one of us who wish to identify and clarify what issues we may be having that is blocking our creativity. I had mentioned that one of my main stumbling blocks is related to my own self-confidence in my work, always finding excuses or obstacles when it comes to creating a certain piece of work. Marion spent over an hour not only going through what I feel is blocking my creativity, but she took the time to look at each piece in my shop. Right away she was able to identify the me in each piece of jewelry. She described my shop as “romantic” and very “feminine”. Without realizing it, she described the essence behind MagdaleneJewels, which completely describes my own personality. I also mentioned my main love is that of writing! As we were nearing the end of our conversation, my spirits were completely lifted when she suggested that I incorporate my love of writing and my romanticism within my shop. Marion’s suggestion was that instead of just listing the materials in my description for each piece in my shop, but that I find the passion within myself while creating each piece, and write something romantic which enhances the beauty of each piece of jewelry within my shop.
Thank you so much Marion, for your kindness, thoughtfulness, time (which was quite a lot), and helping find such a creative goal for me to work towards. As we ended our conversation, I wish she could have seen the smile she brought to my face at that moment. My favorite quote is from Spirits of Indian Wisdom, “the smile you send out always returns.” Marion, I hope I can return the smile back to you on your endeavor in writing your book!

9 comments:

eddy said...

What a wonderful testimonial to a great person!

Beth said...

beautiful feature.....

Myfanwy said...

Lovely feature on Marion. Slightly different, but I'm blogging about her too!

Chauncey said...

lovely feature on Marion, MJ.

marion said...

Thank you so much! I'm glad I was able to help you identify some things you will enjoy doing to promote your lovely work!

TiLT said...

awww...that got me misty - how sweet...and what a great friend!

NICO Designs said...

What a nice feature. It is so important to have people that support you and how special to have someone that can help you realize your gift.

Tulip's Talking said...

Wow Mags! Everyone ^^^ there said it all so well.

You certainly are globally connected!

Good friends are a joy of life.

Lily

AltheaP said...

This is great, Pam. I'm glad you had your conference.